Retail Action Network
2-1415 Broad St., Victoria, BC, V8W 2B2
PDF Version Here: Solidarity Steward | Job Posting RAN
Retail Action Network (RAN) is seeking retail and hospitality workers for our new “Solidarity Steward” program. As a Solidarity Steward you will assist workers that reach out to RAN in seek of missing wages and workplace justice.
Staffing Allotment: 4 hours / week. 6 month contract.
Compensation: $19.50/hr + depending upon experience
As a Solidarity Steward, you will work with a team of volunteers and other RAN staff to deliver support and solidarity to workers that are seeking justice. When RAN is contacted by workers seeking support, the Solidarity Steward program is the first point of contact for tackling the issues that they face. You will be involved in calculating missing wages, answering phone calls, writing demand letters for missing wages, and maintaining connections with workers that connect with our organization as well as our growing team of volunteers.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support intake for workplace complaints.
- Ensure that workers feel supported by, and connected to, the worker’s rights movement locally through RAN.
- Involve workers in the solutions to creating a better workplace.
- Work alongside community partners in the services that they deliver.
- Maintain active employment in a retail or hospitality workplace.
- Working both with a team, and independently. Checking in regularly with other RAN staff and the Lead Advocate.
- Work schedule is flexible, with focus on task completion in a timely manner.
- Shared office space available.
- Laptop, printer, internet, and other office supplies available upon request.
We welcome and value the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people living with disabilities to apply.
Preferred Skills, Training, and Experience
The preferred candidate will have skills & experience inclusive of some or all of the following:
- Comprehension of employment standards and human rights legislation.
- Experience in organizing social justice campaigns in the workplace, or in a community setting.
- Currently working in retail or hospitality.
- Experience with workers’ rights organizing, or other non-profit / community groups.
All interested applicants should forward a resume (cover letter optional) to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will be posted until the position is filled. Please submit all applications in a single pdf format. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Thanks very much for your considering to work with us. We look forward to hearing from you!